Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

If You Feel Like Singing, Sing

For the last several days, I've been on a movie musical kick. Just a bit of background, I was raised listening to musical soundtracks and soft rock of the '70s. I think I will always maintain a bit of a soft spot for these songs.

Anyhow, I am a big fan of the musical Summer Stock. Though, I must admit, I was well into my teen years before I realized that the words "summer stock" had anything to do with theater and not farming. I think it's a very engaging film and Judy Garland and Gene Kelly are fantastic in it (Great chemistry too, by the way). I love the challenge dance between Judy and Gene ("The Portland Fancy" - check it out if you haven't seen it. It's available on youtube). One of my favorite songs from it is "You Wonderful You". Now that's a lovely little ballad. And the reprise with Gene's solo dance with the newspaper and squeaky board is classic. Of course, there's Judy singing "Get Happy" which is an amazing performance - and I love her costume during that number.
 
I'll also admit to being a huge fan of the That's Entertainment series - owning all three parts (plus bonus disc!) on DVD. The musical performances in the MGM musicals were amazing back in the day. And That's Entertainment is great since it features almost exclusively just the highlights and best numbers from the films. I don't find that the lack of story detracts much since a lot of the older musicals don't have too much of a story to begin with. Just the same, the performances are stellar. Great vocals, great dancing, and great songs.
 
Of all the fantastic musicals out there though, I am partial to the ones that star Judy Garland or Gene Kelly. Singin' In The Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, and Easter Parade have been favorites of mine since childhood. I watched one of those old Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney movies a few weeks back, Strike Up the Band, and while I admit that the plot is a little weak, the music is pretty great. I love "Drummer Boy", "Nobody", and "Do the La Conga" are pretty good tunes. And of course, the fruit orchestra performing "Our Love Affair" is highly amusing. And, it wasn't too long ago that I rediscovered the film, Good News. Now, I'm quite aware that Peter Lawford wasn't the best singer or dancer, but I find him adorably charming in that film. I just wish there was a bit more character development! (But that's the writer in me).
 
There are a number of other musicals that I adore, but I think I've rambled on long enough for now. I will, however, leave you with a fake Summer Stock trailer.
 
 
 
 
And yes, I'm quite aware that I'm a big dork. I promise to get into some rock and roll type music soon. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Music Addict! I love Musicals too. I'll have to put those on my list to watch oneday when I have time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The newspaper dance is one of my all-time faves. Along with "Shakin' the Blues Away" from Easter Parade. I always kinda felt Judy Garland's character might have been better suited for Peter Lawford's and Fred Astaire and Anne Miller should have just stuck together.

    But it probably would be less romantic that way.

    ReplyDelete