Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Nostalgia and Clarients


So this is just a little mini-post because I really only am going to discuss one song in this post.



I’ve recently downloaded the song “Stranger on the Shore” by Acker Bilk. I don’t know if I’d ever really heard the 1961 version of the song performed by Acker Bilk until recently – while listening to Songza playlist, “Number One Hits from the ‘60s” or some such.  Kinda hard to believe that a clarinet solo hit number one (though, I believe this was in the UK). He apparently wrote this tune for his daughter and named it after her, “Jenny.” Though, it was the theme song to a British show, “Stranger on the Shore”… thus, the title.



The film that caused me to really take notice of the tune was in The Majestic. I don’t know if it’s because of the film or if it’s the song itself, but it has a very nostalgic and wistful feel to it – at least to me.  But I’ll let you be the judge.

2 comments:

  1. Funny how some music just touches you. This is still very special after all those years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I just realised my parents listened to this a lot when I was little and it immediately took me back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete