Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

It started off so well…


I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to writing about this band, but Queen has long been one of my favorite bands. I got hooked on Queen about a decade ago after I had listened to a mix CD that included “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, “We Will Rock You” and “We Are The Champions”. I’d known those songs before, but never really listened to them… and as is typical for me, after hearing a band I really like, I dive right into their music for several months.

 

After borrowing News of the World from a friend, it seemed that each week I’d run out to buy another one of their albums. So, what can I say about Queen? Queen was incredibly different. They could have wild, loud rockers one minute, and then they would have a pretty ballad the next.  Or even better, they would have some bizarre song that was filled with their British charm. John Deacon is an amazing bassist. Deacon bass lines aren’t just that thumping you tend to hear – His bass lines were melodic and beautiful – And he wrote some of the biggest Queen hits. Roger Taylor can totally rock out on the drums and watching him behind a ridiculously huge set, and know exactly where he’s going… It’s pretty impressive. (And it’s because of him that I mastered the drumstick twirl!) Not to mention he can sing higher than me! Brian May is my favorite member… (I think I’ve already mentioned my “thing” for guitarists). Brian is an extraordinary guitarist and the way he used guitars as other instruments – Well, I’ve never heard another musician able to orchestrate a choir of guitars the way Brian can. And Freddie? Jeez, he’s one of the most charismatic front mans ever. He wasn’t much to look at, but that voice! So powerful which such a fantastic range… And he had a distinctive style on the piano as well. And he’s written some of rock and roll’s most complex songs.

 

My favorite album may be The Game – though, that’s not to say I don’t dig their other albums. Honestly, every album of theirs (particularly the earlier albums) have tons of noteworthy songs. I know that to some The Game marks the beginning of the end for Queen. It’s Queen’s first pop album and is the first of Queen’s albums that doesn’t boast the use of no synthesizers. In fact, the first sound of the album is a synthesizer. So, the album may lack the depth of Queen’s preceding albums and lack the edge of News of the World, but it doesn’t make it a bad album. “Play The Game” is a fantastic showcase for Freddie’s amazing vocals. “Another One Bites The Dust” is quite a departure for the band and for the writer of the song – John Deacon – successfully crossing over into the funk genre. Brian’s heavy “Dragon Attack” and John’s catchy “I Need Your Loving Tonight” are both great tunes. And “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” is a lovely little rockabilly tribute to Elvis with a great Brian May guitar solo played on a Fender Telecaster instead of his usual “Red Special”.

 

Brian wrote two absolutely gorgeous ballads on this album as well – “Sail Away Sweet Sister” is by far my most played Queen song. I love Brian’s vocals and amazing guitar solo – and Freddie’s vocals on the bridge tend to blow me away. (How does he hit that note?!) “Save Me” is the other ballad – and it has another killer guitar solo. And Freddie’s vocals are, of course, perfect. It builds up to a poignant climax flawlessly with its catchy and heartfelt chorus. While it may not be groundbreaking, it doesn’t detract from the beauty of the song. It’s a lovely and strong closer to the album.

 

So… I suppose that’s about all I’ve got to say about Queen for now, but be prepared for me to revisit the subject somewhere down the line.

2 comments:

  1. My hubby has seen Queen perform live. He rates it as THE BEST concert he's seen EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome. I don't doubt that he'd qualify it as the best concert he's seen. From everything I can tell, they were AMAZING live!

      Delete