Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Anytime at all, all you have to do is call...

In 1963, my boys had already had some tremendously impressive songwriting skills, chops, and contagious melodies under their belts. A Hard Day's Night is notably different though. Please Please Me was literally a run-through of all the songs they played live at the Cavern, all recorded in one day. With the Beatles was much of the same. Both albums definitely demonstrated The Beatles songwriting ability, but there were a number of covers included. (On a side note, I think "Twist and Shout" and "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" are 2 of the best covers The Beatles ever did.) A Hard Day's Night is the very first Beatles album comprised of only Lennon& McCartney material.



The instrumental landscape is graced with driving acoustic guitars, John and Paul's unmistakable voices and harmonies, Paul's characteristic bass lines, Ringo's steady backbeat and of course, George's ringing 12-string guitar. George's playing was so influential -- especially on the classic title song --that seemingly an entire generation of young guitarists made the 12-string a part of their arsenal.


 

The album (and film) opens with that explosive and instantly recognizable chord. And from there, we are taken on an exhilarating ride. Both Paul and John take lead vocals on "A Hard Day's Night." It is a primarily John written song and the title came from Ringo. John gave the middle bit to Paul since he couldn't reach the notes comfortably. "A Hard Day's Night" is an infectious rocker and a lot of good fun. Great beat, catchy melody, easy to dance to, love the guitar solo, and adore the screams. "I Should Have Known Better" is another super-catchy pop song with a bright melody and John demonstrating his talents on the jaunty harmonica line, as was customary in the early Beatles albums. The guitar solo is a bit lacking, but there's plenty of ear candy to keep me amused – Including double tracked Lennon vocals (and just a side note: Love the way he sounds when singing "When I tell you that I love you, oh. You're gonna say you love me too, oh". Those "oh's" totally get to me!) and appealing lyrics. "If I Fell" is a beautiful ballad with an unusual song structure. John and Paul were definitely growing by leaps and bounds in their songwriting abilities. There's no obvious chorus, just versus with a lovely melody, sweet lyrics, and fantastic harmonies by John and Paul. Considering how distinctive and different their voices were, they had an amazing ability for their voices to blend and wrap around each other, forming heavenly harmonies. "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" is, while not a well-respected Beatles song, I love it and have always considered it one of my favorites from the album. I'm aware that it's a "basic formula" song and that John wrote it as a throw away song and never cared for it, but it's so catchy and George's performance is absolutely adorable. I can't help but picture him in A Hard Day's Night, doing his little jig during the song. I love the Bo Diddley guitar part during the verses and I think my favorite part is when the background vocals come in during the chorus (The "Ohhh ohhh's").


 


"And I Love Her" is a classic Paul ballad – infused with a bossa nova rhythm. It has the typical, sweet lyrics that are customary of McCartney love songs. The middle eight is fantastic (though, there's some debate over whether John or Paul wrote that) and while the guitar solo does nothing more than repeat the melody, it is done on acoustic guitar – which I love! Also, I love the key change – some key changes come across as a bit unnecessary, but this one, I love. "Tell Me Why" was quite obviously influenced by the R&B styles of girl groups during this time. I love the harmonies used continually (but I'm a sucker for harmonies). It has a swingy, walking bass line, a pretty great middle-eight (though, it was quite some time before I understood what they were saying in the falsetto bit), and a fantastic vocal performance from John. "Can't Buy Me Love" is a brilliant anti-materialistic rocker. I tend to prefer the live version featured in Anthology, but there's no denying that this is a fantastic early Beatles rock song. Amazing bass line, very cool guitar solo (love the twangy sound of the guitar), and an incredible scream from my Paulie.



"Any Time At All" is another one of my favorites from this album and kicks off the B-side of the album.  It's lyrics are upbeat, there's a very cool middle eight with Paul pounding the melody out on the piano, and I love John's shout-y chorus (with Paul singing the echoing "Any time at all" because, again, John couldn't reach the notes). John had said that this song was an attempt to re-write "It Won't Be Long", which I can see – But since I love that song too, it doesn't detract at all. "I'll Cry Instead" features confessional lyrics set to a wistful, country-western musical backdrop. It's a captivating, snappy melody and flies by. This song clocks in under two minutes, and to me, there just isn't time to dislike it. My favorite part is "Don't wanna cry when there's people there" bit. "Things We Said Today" is one of my songs. I love the duga-dum acoustic guitar intro and Paul singing harmony with himself. I think the song is interesting lyrically, with the future tense of the song and how "the present" is somehow the past. I'm quite partial to the middle-8 bit too and the change from a minor key to a major key. "When I Get Home" is another Lennon rocker. I'm finding that I really do like the scream-y voice John uses on these early rock songs. "You Can't Do That" is another song I'm quite partial to. Wilson Pickett inspired, it's got great jangly guitar, nice background vocals, and I like the stop-start of the "I told you before, you can't do that." And there's a pretty nice scream before John launches into a very Lennon-esque guitar solo. "I'll Be Back" is a nice piece of songwriting with rather poignant lyrics. My favorite bit is "I thought you would realize…" It's kind of an unexpected choice as an album closer, but I like how it ends on the promise that "I'll be back again."

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Everytime i listen to this music....

    It's like im running with them in the streets in the beginning of the movie.

    You know i feeeeel allriiiight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many albums did the Beatles record? I know, how ignorant am I? *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee... It's actually kind of a tricky question... The Beatles officially recorded 12 albums, but they've been released in many different configurations over the years.

      Delete