Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

And I couldn't help but sing along...


Another mini-post…



Like I’ve mentioned before, I had a major crush on Keith Partridge during my early-teenage years, so I listened to a lot of The Partridge Family. I owned every one of their albums and even would sit in front of the television with a tape recorder and microphone to tape the songs that weren’t available on a record. I even joined the David Cassidy International Fan Club after seeing the address inside one of the CD covers I owned. Yeah, I was a huge fan… I even got to see David in Vegas on my 17th birthday.



Anyway, the first song I really liked of theirs was their biggest hit, “I Think I Love You”. Of course, it was very shortly after obtaining the CD of their greatest hits that I began to explore all their music. Looking back on it now, many years later, I can see why my dad complained that all their songs sounded the same, BUT they did have some pretty damn good pop songs.



A few of the non-hits that I keep coming back to are “Maybe Someday”, (It’s got a brass part during the chorus that hooks me – something I never noticed while watching the performance on the show), “Twenty Four Hours A Day”, “That’s The Way It Is With You” (lovely piano intro), “Rainmaker” (more pretty piano part), “Love Is All That I Ever Needed” (nice bass intro – and co-written by David Cassidy), “You Are Always On My Mind”,  “There’s No Doubt In My Mind” and “Last Night”. Are any of these songs super innovative or revolutionary? Not by a long shot. Are the lyrics sappy and silly? You bet. It’s unobtrusive ‘70s bubblegum pop. But what these songs do have to offer are carefully crafted pop music with cushy arrangements and some nice vocals provided by David Cassidy.

2 comments:

  1. I have always kind of joked that if you looked up the word gorgeous in the dictionary, there would be a photo of David Cassidy from The Partridge Family years!!! He was so gosh darn beautiful. And let's not forget his incredible voice!!! Thanks for bringing back pleasant childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it. Just because it's not Bob Dylan, doesn't mean there's no merit there.

    I've always really liked that song "Last Night."

    ReplyDelete