Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The record goes from blue to gold…


I believe I’ve mentioned this band before, but allow me to say few more things about the “punk-cabaret” band, The Dresden Dolls. I was introduced to their music several years ago. The first album I heard was Yes, Virginia and was the music immediately caught my attention. What is so cool to me is that the music is, more or less, rock, but is played on the piano. Also, for a band that doesn't consist of anything more than a piano and drums, the tracks are huge, your brain won't even realize that there are only 2 instruments being played here. I’m in love with the piano parts Amanda Palmer always has – really crazy chords, kind of a bastardization on Jazz and Classical… and the consistently dark and twisted lyrics… I dunno, there’s something about all of that that really appeals to me. And let’s not forget about Brian’s drumming – inventive and powerful.

 

The song I first became infatuated with was “Backstabber". It’s kind of a 4-minute litany of insults aimed at some unknown critic, but it has an amazingly catchy piano riff and a captivating melody – with fantastic drumming by Brian. For all of her venom and sometimes-frightening intensity, Amanda has a sharp wit and I think it’s quite apparent in this song. The other song that quickly became a favorite of mine is “Dirty Business”. I love the feel of this song, the powerful chords, and some of the sarcasm that Amanda delivers in the lyrics – and the way the song builds throughout the last chorus. It’s really an amazing song.

 

Fairly recently, I dusted off the DVD of a concert The Dresden Dolls did quite a few years ago and was immediately impressed again with their commanding stage presence and energy during a performance – and they obviously love performing. I’m so glad I’ve had the opportunity to see them live, because it was an amazing experience. One thing you can say about The Dresden Dolls, their brand of theatrics, cabaret, and dark confessionals is a refreshing change of pace. So yeah, if you can get past their somewhat unusual appearance and not be freaked out by them, check ‘em out. You may enjoy them!

3 comments:

  1. The make up and video sorta creeped me out o_O But it's a cool song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what to think of them. That music video, I watched it thinking WTF>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoy hearing something completely different than what I normally listen to. The clip is a bit weird but yeah the song is catchy. I can't get it out of my head now so thanks lol BACKSTABBER! BACKSTABBER!

    ReplyDelete